Chilean Telecommunications Company to Provide New Streaming Services and Enhance Video Quality for IPTV Subscribers
PARIS – July 29, 2014 –ATEME, a global leader in advanced video compression solutions for the broadcast industry, announced today that Telefonica del Sur (Telsur), the leading telecommunications company in the south of Chile, selected ATEME’s TITAN Live to increase its market share by offering a new streaming service for iOS devices and enhance video quality for its existing IPTV subscribers.
- Telefonica del Sur, part of the Grupo Gtd. telecommunications group – Founded in 1893 and headquartered in Valdivia, Chile, Telsur is the fourth-largest telecommunications company in Chile and the country’s first to introduce an IPTV service in 2006. It has more than 300,000 clients and an IPTV subscriber base of 150,000 in major cities throughout southern Chile.
- Transitioning to multi-product operator – To support its ambitious business expansion efforts, Telsur has undergone an important transition from a traditional, fixed, telephony provider to a multi-product telecommunications operator, offering wireless local telephone, Internet (ISP), IPTV and more.
- Developing new revenue streams with industry-leading technology – TITAN Live is ATEME’s carrier-grade software processing solution for next-generation TV Head-End. It receives IP video sources coming from satellite reception and supports various encapsulation formats to enable the repurposing of content over numerous devices such as TV’s, smartphones, tablets, or Web players while maintaining pristine video quality. By deploying TITAN Live, Telsur is now able to offer a new streaming service for iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads that rely on MPEG-4 video and adaptive bitrate technology.
- Supporting legacy equipment – Telsur’s installed base of first-generation set-top-boxes supports only MPEG-2 decoding. With TITAN Live, Telsur is able to broadcast compatible MPEG-2 video streams for its existing subscriber base, simultaneously to MPEG-4, with an enhanced picture quality compared to MPEG-2 hardware encoders previously deployed.
- Cristian Raul Carcamo Gomez, Telsur
Cristian Raul Carcamo Gomez, manager, TV & multimedia services, Telefonica del Sur, said:
“By implementing TITAN Live, we are able to increase our competitive advantage through new technology implementations, such as launching a streaming IPTV service. This allows us to attract new subscribers while improving the quality of service for our existing customer base.”
Raul Rivera, vice president sales, Latin America and Caribbean, ATEME said:
“TITAN fits very well into the all-IP architecture of Telsur, from acquisition to delivery. This future-proof software solution provides Telsur with a flexible, scalable architecture that allows them to add and expand multi-screen services over time.”
ATEME is a world leading provider of HEVC / H.265, MPEG-4 / H.264 and MPEG-2 bandwidth efficient compression technology. ATEME encoding solutions are deployed widely for broadcast contribution links, distribution, multi-screen live streaming, OTT and VOD applications. More information is available at www.ateme.com.
ATEME Press Contacts:
ATEME Corporate Marketing
T: +33 1 69 35 89 88
Nadel Phelan, Inc.